Agitating Lawyers Set Police Jeep Ablaze, Block Traffic

After the general body meeting lawyers decided to go on an indefinite strike protesting the high handedness of police.

Published: 22nd July 2014 08:58 AM  |   Last Updated: 22nd July 2014 12:56 PM   |  A+A-


BHUBANESWAR: Traffic at Kalpana Square was paralysed for several hours on Monday as more than 200 members of Bhubaneswar Bar Association took to the roads protesting alleged police assault on a lawyer last week. Irate lawyers set a  police jeep ablaze during the agitation.

 Lawyers gathered outside the court premises after a meeting of their general body, where a decision was taken to go on an indefinite strike protesting the high handedness of police.

The roadblock began at 1 pm with lawyers blocking traffic on Cuttack-Puri road (NH-203).

 The protestors were divided into two large groups, with one manning the roads in front of the Sessions Court and the other blocking traffic coming from Rasulgarh and Rajmahal.

The lawyers went on the rampage burning tyres and in the process, damaged a PCR van parked adjacent to Bhanja Kala Mandap.

Meanwhile, a few protestors surrounded a police jeep parked near State Museum and set it on fire. The commuters, who tried to go through the stretch of blocked road, were rerouted.

 Surprisingly, while the agitated lawyers were busy in their act, a platoon of police personnel, deployed at the spot, stood as mute spectators.

 Nihar Ranjan Sethi, a lawyer at District Sessions Court, Khurda, was allegedly assaulted by a few police personnel doing rounds in a PCR van late on Friday night, while he was on his way home. A grievously injured Sethi was admitted to the Capital Hospital.

 A complaint against the alleged police assault was lodged in Badagada police station on Sunday. Association members had demanded the arrest of all four accused by Sunday afternoon.

 Former secretary of Bhubaneswar Bar Association Prashant Sahu questioned that if police manhandle a lawyer regardless of the law, how safe was the common man. The lawyers will continue to protest until the accused are  arrested, he added.

 At 3.05 pm, additional police force was deployed at Kalpana Square. Four police vans blocked the incoming route and traffic to Kalpana Square outside the fire station.

The agitators were pacified after Police Commissioner R P Sharma assured them that the erring police personnel would be arrested within 24 hours.

 “A special team comprising one additional DCP and two Inspectors has been formed to look into the matter. We will conduct an impartial probe and the progress of the investigation will be shared regularly. No one will be shielded,” Sharma said.

 Traffic movement in the area was restored at 8 pm.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp