SAMBALPUR: Three children of Bhulki village under Girishchandrapur gram panchayat of the district died late on Tuesday night after consuming stale food at a marriage feast. At least 25 others have been taken ill.
The deceased are siblings Bisra Purty (7) and Sumita (3), children of Mangra Purty, and Manika Munda (9), daughter of Nayan Munda of the village.
According to reports, one Sukru Munda of Bhulki had organised a feast on Tuesday after his daughter’s marriage on Monday. People complained of uneasiness and vomiting after consuming the food. Condition of some of them deteriorated but instead of going to the hospital, they took help of a quack. Late in the night, three children among those affected died.
Additional District Medical Officer (ADMO), Sambalpur, Panchanan Naik said a team of medical staff from the District Headquarters Hospital has been sent to the village. “The deaths might be a result of food poisoning following consumption of stale food,” he said, adding that the food was served to people late in the noon although it was cooked early in the morning. The team of doctors from Sambalpur Hospital will be stationed in the village till the situation improves.
Additional Superintendent of Police, SK Panigrahi said unnatural death cases have been registered and the bodies seized for autopsy.
Further investigation into the matter is on, he added.