Fire-hit Sishu Bhawan Infant Dies

Published: 05th December 2015 06:50 AM  |   Last Updated: 05th December 2015 06:51 AM   |  A+A-

CUTTACK: The 26-day-old baby, who had been injured in the fire mishap in the neonatal unit of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Post Graduate Institute of Paediatrics (Sishu Bhawan), succumbed on Thursday night.

The baby was 21 days old at that time and had been kept under the ill-fated warmer when the bulb burst, causing the fire in the unit on November 29. The newborn, son of one Abhimanyu Sahoo of Kendrapara, had reportedly undergone surgery for a congenital disease in a private hospital but had to be shifted to Sishu Bhawan after his condition worsened. He had sustained injuries in the bulb explosion, but it had been termed superficial by the doctors.

The fire in the premier paediatric hospital of the State had completely ravaged the neonatal unit. As many as 22 newborns, including three critical babies on ventilator support, were being treated in the unit at the time. All the babies, however, had been evacuated without any mishap.

While the fire is said to have been caused by a short circuit, a technical team, constituted by Collector Nirmal Chandra Mishra, is investigating into the matter. It will submit its report soon.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp