CUTTACK: The 26-day-old baby, who had been injured in the fire mishap in the neonatal unit of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Post Graduate Institute of Paediatrics (Sishu Bhawan), succumbed on Thursday night.
The baby was 21 days old at that time and had been kept under the ill-fated warmer when the bulb burst, causing the fire in the unit on November 29. The newborn, son of one Abhimanyu Sahoo of Kendrapara, had reportedly undergone surgery for a congenital disease in a private hospital but had to be shifted to Sishu Bhawan after his condition worsened. He had sustained injuries in the bulb explosion, but it had been termed superficial by the doctors.
The fire in the premier paediatric hospital of the State had completely ravaged the neonatal unit. As many as 22 newborns, including three critical babies on ventilator support, were being treated in the unit at the time. All the babies, however, had been evacuated without any mishap.
While the fire is said to have been caused by a short circuit, a technical team, constituted by Collector Nirmal Chandra Mishra, is investigating into the matter. It will submit its report soon.