STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

New Fish Markets in Offing for Sambalpur

Published: 08th December 2015 05:39 AM  |   Last Updated: 09th December 2015 03:47 AM   |  A+A-

SAMBALPUR: The Sambalpur Municipal Corporation (SMC) will set up two modernised fish markets in the city. The markets will come up at Danipali and Gobindtola areas in the city with support from Odisha Urban Infrastructure Development Fund (OUIDF).

Deputy Commissioner of SMC, Sudhansu Kumar Bhoi said while contractor for construction of the fish market at Danipali has been finalised and work will start soon, tender process for the second market at Gobindtola has been initiated. The SMC had demarcated land for both the fish markets to be developed at an estimated cost of Rs 2.35 crore with support from OUIDF.

Fish Markets.JPGOf the total estimated cost, the OUIDF will provide 90 per cent, while the Municipal Corporation will contribute the rest 10 per cent. The OUIDF will give 55 per cent of the estimated cost as grant and rest 35 per cent as loan and the SMC will repay the loan amount, Bhoi informed. A target has been set to finish the construction within six months.

The proposed fish markets will have state-of-the-art facilities like refrigeration, weighing system, running water, proper drainage and effluent treatment plant and there will be 40 kiosks in each market to accommodate fish vendors.

Currently, fish is being sold at Golebazar Daily Market besides Hatlis (small markets) at Budharaja, Kunjelpada, Badbazaar and near Fire Brigade Station, Zilla School Chowk, Ainthapali, Baraipali, Remed and Farm Road in the open along the main roads in different parts of the city.

Most of the markets are illegal and unorganised and fish is sold in unhygienic surroundings with cats pecking at the fish dumped by the vendors and flies dominating the place. The only organised fish market was at Golebazar, which was constructed in 1954. It has collapsed forcing the vendors to operate in the open.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp