BHUBANESWAR: Property worth `9 lakh was gutted after a major fire broke out in a private bank at Unit III here on Friday.
No loss of life or injuries was reported as the incident took place in the wee hours of the day when no one was present inside the building.
The mishap took place at Axis Bank branch located on the second floor of Mallick commercial complex in Kharvela Nagar. The fire was detected after a thick cloud of smoke started coming out from the bank.
Four fire fighting units with 25 personnel were pressed into service after Kalpana Fire Station was alerted.
All documents, electronic equipment, computers and other accessories of the bank, which functions as a cheque clearance branch, were charred.
Sources said though several banks are functioning in the building, no fire fighting system has been put in place. The fire might have been an outcome of an electrical short circuit in an air conditioner.
Investigation is on and the exact loss of property will be ascertained after completion of the probe, a Fire Services personnel said.