JEYPORE: Four persons suffering from gastro were admitted to the District Hospital in Jeypore town on Saturday. Last week, 17 persons were affected by the disease in areas like Jaya Nagar, Kundriguda, New Street and Parija Street.
While reason behind the disease is yet to be ascertained, locals said it might be due to consumption of contaminated water or unhygienically prepared food along the roads.
The unhygienic food on the streets has not attracted the attention of either the Food Inspector or the health officer, which has given the owners a free-run in the area. Food stall owners take little interest in maintaining minimum quality, leading to food poisoning among the consumers. The district health authorities have collected samples of drinking water from affected areas and sent those for tests.