2 jumbos die of electrocution
CUTTACK: Two elephants were electrocuted to death in Karanji village under Tangi-Choudwar block within Cuttack Forest Division limits on Sunday night.
The two female elephants aged 15 and 10 years respectively came in contact with live wire after they strayed into Srikhetra Garden located on the premises of Sri Maa Aurobindo Ashram under Safa Section of Dalijoda Forest range, Bairi.
The electric wires were drawn illegally from the house of two persons staying inside the Ashram, said DFO Sudarsan Patra.
The jumbos succumbed on the spot. The bodies of the pachyderms were found lying separately at a distance of 100 metre inside the garden.
On being informed, Forest officials rushed to the spot and conducted an enquiry. The bodies of the elephants were buried after postmortem.
The Forest Department has lodged a complaint against Radhakanta Panda and Dharani Dhar Pal, the two persons from whose house the electric wires were drawn illegally, under Wildlife Protection Act.
Officials of CESU have also launched a probe into the illegal extension of electric wires which led to electrocution of the two jumbos.
On March 20, a mother elephant and her calf were electrocuted at Dihasahi village near Choudwar within the limits of same Safa Section in Dalijoda range of Cuttack Forest Division.