- A minor flame was first spotted near a medicine repository of the Medicine ICU at around 7:30 pm
- Cause of flame, Fire Department sources say - Short Circuit, source of fire under investigation
- Fire and smoke spread between the false ceiling and main ceiling of the second floor.
- Once smoke engulfed the Medicine ICU completely, the fire spread to the Dialysis centre located right opposite.
- Entire corridor was charred by then. Smoke billowed out of the second floor, chaos in ICU and Dialysis Centre as patients and attendants cry for help.
- Fire Stations at Baramunda, Secretariat, Chandrasekhpur and Kalpana Square get an alert at 7:41 pm.
- Six fire engines mobilised, reach SUM Hospital by 7:56 pm and rush up fire fighting and rescue simultaneously.
- By then the entire floor was ravaged. Glass panes were broken to facilitate ventilation.
- A majority of patients were shifted into ambulances and emergency vehicles lined downstairs, through the fire exit (staircase).
- Sixteen 108 ambulances pressed into service to shift patients to nearby hospitals.
- Some patients brought down by Fire Services ladders.
- The fire was under control by 10:15 pm. Fire Services personnel engaged till 11 pm. Second floor sealed.