Girl found dead with head injuries

5 youth picked up by cops after 9-year-old’s death; possibility of rape attempt not ruled out

Published: 29th December 2012 09:55 AM  |   Last Updated: 29th December 2012 09:55 AM   |  A+A-

Tirupattur police picked up five youth, aged between 14 and 20, in connection with the murder of a nine-year-old girl, who was found dead in a banana plantation in Andiyappanur village on Thursday night.

Gayathri, a class-IV student in a government school had gone to a temple for Pournami Puja. The ill-fated incident occurred when she was returning home around 7.15 pm on Thursday.

Gayathri’s parents went in search of her when she did not return home till after 8 pm. Ramachandran’s neighbours had told him to search for her in the banana plantation in the village, as they had heard a scream from the spot. Gayathri’s parents and relatives went to the plantation only to find her dead, police said.

Ramachandran lodged a complaint with the Kursilapet police, who visited the spot and conducted an inquiry. They recovered the body and sent it to the GH at Tirupattur for autopsy.

Forensic and finger prints experts were pressed into service.

A four-member team headed by professor of forensic medicine of Government Vellore Medical College Hospital, K Selvaraj, performed the post-mortem on Friday.

The post-mortem revealed that the girl had sustained injuries on her head and abdomen, apart from contusions on her face and other parts of her body. Internal injuries on the abdomen were the cause of her death, assistant director of the Forensic Wing, K Pari, assisting the investigation team, said.

Though there was no sign of sexual assault, the police have not ruled out the possibility of attempt to rape. Collector P Sankar visited Tirupattur at 10.30 am on Friday, and stayed there till the post mortem of the girl’s body was completed.

Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) of Tirupattur M Nagarajan and a police team  had picked up the five youth from the village in connection with the murder.

“The murder took place between 7.15 pm and 8.10 pm on Thursday. None of the villagers saw the murderer as there was a power cut at that time. We are interrogating the youth on suspicion,” the DSP said.

He said they would be able to ascertain the motive behind the murder and zero in on those involved, after interrogating the youth.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp