Man killed after inhaling gas in car

COIMBATORE:  Poisonous gas that allegedly leaked from a car’s air conditioning system has led to the death of a 35-year-old man here on Friday. The victim, S Rajan, was resting in a

Published: 06th May 2012 04:58 AM  |   Last Updated: 02nd June 2012 10:16 PM   |  A+A-

COIMBATORE:  Poisonous gas that allegedly leaked from a car’s air conditioning system has led to the death of a 35-year-old man here on Friday.

The victim, S Rajan, was resting in a parked car and had switched on the AC when the freak  mishap took place. A resident of Kallimadai in Singanallur, Rajan worked as a driver with Jeyakumar, a mill owner.

“On Friday afternoon, Rajan had taken the Toyota Qualis to the workshop at Nanjappa Nagar at Singanallur to repair its  bumpers. The mechanic told him that it would take time to attend to his car, and therefore he parked the car nearby and took a nap at around 10.30 am,” said police.

Three hours later, the car owner Jeyakumar, who was residing nearby, went to check on the car. On seeing Jeyakumar unconscious, he rushed him to CMCH where the doctors declared him dead.

After conducting preliminary tests, the forensic doctors suspect that Rajan had inhaled poisonous gases that had caused the death.

“Sometimes, due to leakage, gases like carbon monoxide emitted from the engine gets into the car. Alternately, the AC might also leak deadly gases like trichlorotrifluoroethane, which is used as a cooling agent. Even if a person is exposed to theses gases for a few minutes, it will turn deadly,” says Dr Jaising, Assistant Professor, Forensic Medicine, Coimbatore Medical College.

The Singanallur police have registered a case.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp