Two persons suffered injuries after a transformer placed near the anganwadi building burst at the Iyyanaarkoil Street in Kuzhanthaikeerapalayam here on Tuesday.
There were 10 children inside the anganwadi building when the transformer, near the 100 feet road, burst. Luckily, none of the children were injured. However, the assistant of the anganwadi, Vasantha (57), and one passerby, Rajkumar (20), of Raghavendra Nagar were injured in the accident. Both were taken to Government Hospital and,given treatment.
Soon after the incident, the children were shifted to a small kitchen by anganwadi teacher, Sumathi. The oil from the transformer spilled on to the walls of the anganwadi building and it caused fire. With the help of the residents, the fire was doused.
Sumathi, who was in a shock, told Express that there was a huge noise and the hot oil from the transformer started spreading to the anganwadi building. “We couldn’t make out what was happening. But we managed to shift the children to the inside room and ensure that they were safe,” Sumathi said.
After the news spread, tahsildar Ramesh rushed to the spot. AIADMK MLA Baskar also visited the spot and the anganwadi centre.
Since the transformer was kept on a higher platform, the burning oil from it spilled to nearly 30 feet height. The people could not go near it as the road laying materials were heaped there, souces said.
According to sources, poor maintenance caused the bursting of the transformer. Timely replacement of the oil inside it could have avoided the incident, sources on condition of anonymity said.
However, a top electricity department official said the burst occurred after a crow sat on the transformer.
The electricity department officials reached the spot and they replaced the transformer and the power connection was restored by evening.
Welfare Minister P Rajavelu visited the anaganwadi worker Vasantha later on Tuesday afternoon.