While there are many homely medicines to deal with lice that are more affordable than branded, allopathic solutions, some of these are manufactured under little or no regulations, can have deadly consequences.
Two toddlers in Virudhunagar died within a week of each other this month after having ingested such locally-made remedies that are easily available at petty shops.
On Friday, a two-year-old girl Hamsad Begum consumed a ‘lice killer’ medicine that her mother had kept on the floor to apply along with oil on her head at their house in Kakidhamilla Street at Aruppukottai. The child was immediately rushed to Aruppukottai GH where she died the next morning.
Earlier, one-and-half-year-old Kesavan of Ramasamypuram consumed a lice killer medicine on August 9. Despite, being rushed to Aruppukottai GH and then to Government Rajaji Hospital, the child died.
A doctor from Virudhunagar Government Hospital said that manufacturing of such types of local anti-lice medicines was a cottage industry in the district and called for a ban on their sale.