Girl stages suicide drama, escapes case for bomb hoax

Published: 20th August 2013 08:44 AM  |   Last Updated: 20th August 2013 08:44 AM   |  A+A-

A girl student, who wrote a bomb threat letter to a school in Tirunagar, was let off with a warning by the police after she threatened to commit suicide if a case was booked.

Police said that a Class X girl of the Indira Gandhi Matriculation Higher Secondary School handed over a leave letter to the Tamil teacher Sattappuli saying that the letter was given by an unidentified person in the morning on Monday.

When the teacher read the letter that was written in Tamil it warned that a bomb would explode on the school campus shortly.

“This is not a warning, but truth. No one can prevent the explosion on the campus,” the letter read.

Following this, the school authorities immediately alerted the police. A police team along with Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad arrived at the spot and thoroughly checked the campus. However, after the check, it was found out that it was a hoax.

After enquiries, police traced the letter to a class XII student of the same school. Police immediately rushed to the girl’s house and conducted inquiries with her. The girl, who was panicked by the police action and broke into tears, said she would commit suicide, if the police booked a case against her in connection with the threat letter. Following this, police decided to drop action against her and let her off with a warning.

Superintendent of Police V Balakrishnan said that during the inquiry the girl said that she only sent the letter to stop the model exam scheduled on Monday. “As the girl did not prepare well for the model exam, she had resorted to this mischief in an attempt to postpone the exam. Parents should keep an eye on their wards’ activities to prevent these types of incidents. However, teachers and parents should also caution them about the repercussions of such bad acts,” he said.

But, soon after the news about the letter was out, panic gripped public and the police as the Rashtriya Swayamsevek Sangh leader Chief Mohan Madhukur Bhagwat was staying in a house, which was just a kilometre from the school, in the area for more than five days. Teams from the city and district police rushed to the school and also to the house where RSS Chief was staying as a  saftey measure.  However, Mohan Bhagwat moved out of the the house and came to the city in the evening.

Not ready to take any chance, police also intensified vehicle checks on Tiruparankundram-Madurai road following the threat letter.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp