STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Suffocation Caused Death of Children Inside Car, Say Doctors

Doctors have claimed that the children who were trapped inside the car for around three hours must have died due to suffocation which was caused due to excess of carbon-dioxide and carbon monoxide, which are poisonous gases.

Published: 14th August 2014 06:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 14th August 2014 07:59 AM   |  A+A-

MADURAI: Doctors have claimed that the children who were trapped inside the car for around three hours must have died due to suffocation which was caused due to excess of carbon-dioxide and carbon monoxide, which are poisonous gases.

“The children were in the car for a long time without water. When the temperature in the car increased, the children will automatically sweat more, which results in dehydration of their bodies”, the doctors who examined their bodies stated.

When the children’s body temperature  crossed 105 degrees Fahrenheit, they would have gone unconscious,” said Dr A Kannan, Head of the Department of Pediatrics, Meenakshi Mission Hospital and Research Centre. “Children are more vulnerable and are at higher risk for heat-related illness than adults, since the bodies of children are only in the developing stages,” Kannan further added.

Besides, due to lack of oxygen supply to the brain the children would have fallen unconscious, he noted. They would have entered the coma stage soon and later passed away,” said Dr S Vadivel Murugan, Medical Superintendent of the Government Rajaji Hospital.

Within the first 30 minutes, oxygen in the vehicle should have been exhausted. Because four children would have been inhaling the oxygen inside the car, the amount of oxygen must have come down fast”. Besides, the children were releasing carbon dioxide within the closed atmosphere in the car. Lack of oxygen to the brain  results in damage of brain cells of children” he added.

“The temperature in a normal car is around 72 degrees Fahrenheit, which increase by 30 to 40 degrees in an hour and since the car was parked for months, the vacuum must have been more in the car without much oxygen,” said D Kritish Shenoy, an automobile engineer.

He added that with excess of carbon dioxide and lack of oxygen with carbon molecules pairing it results in carbon monoxide which is poisonous. Further hydraulic fluid  is used for functioning of the clutches in the vehicle where gas is not involved.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp