STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

School Students in Soup as Buses Under Special Scheme Stop

The bus services that were being operated under the Students Special Bus Scheme has stopped plying on most of the routes for the past four days, creating major inconvenience to students.

Published: 08th February 2014 11:13 AM  |   Last Updated: 08th February 2014 11:13 AM   |  A+A-

The bus services that were being operated under the Students Special Bus Scheme has stopped plying on most of the routes for the past four days, creating major inconvenience to students.

The Students Special Bus Scheme provides transport facilities at a concession rate of `1 to students of government and aided schools in Puducherry and Karaikal by engaging private bus operators through Puducherry Road Transport Corporation. Around nineteen operators had been operating the bus services on fifty-five routes under the scheme.

While in some routes like Ariyankuppam and Abisekapakkam regions, the buses have been totally stopped and on a few routes, the service is minimal, president of the Students Federation of India State A Anand told The New Indian Express.

“Instead of four buses, only one bus is being operated,” he added. The federation submitted a petition to Chief Minister N Rangasamy on Friday, seeking regular services.

Officials of the Department of Education are fully aware of the situation. Some bus operators, after informing the Education Department, had stopped plying buses while others had  stopped without informing, said an official. They said they were running on loss, and hence cannot continue, he added further.

Consequent to the accident that occurred  on October 31, 2011, involving a special bus which claimed the life of a student and injured 62 others, the Directorate of School Education had instructed the operators to restrict the passenger capacity and not allow more than 80 students to travel at a time during a trip.

Currently, the operators are  paid a fixed amount per month for allotted routes on the basis of distance covered per day under three different slabs, added the Education Department official further.

Incidentally, the scheme is being operated  for more than four years without any formal tripartite agreement among the Directorate of School Education (DSE), PRTC and private bus operators.

A proposal has been sent to the government for restructing the scheme, said the official from the Education Department.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp