A minor blaze broke out at the Anglo-French Textiles (AFT) Mill unit in Iyyankuttipalayam on Wednesday morning. None was injured in the blaze, which was brought under control within half an hour.
According to fire department sources, the fire started after cotton got entangled in the conveyor belt and the subsequent spark that occurred from the machinery part.
After workers failed to douse the fire, Gorimedi fire brigade personnel were informed. They rushed to the spot and doused the fire within half-an-hour.
Cotton, weighing nearly 200 kg and the conveyor belt have been gutted. The loss is approximately put at `50,000, said sources.
It might be recalled that the unit at the Iyyankuttipalayam resumed functioning on February 12. The mill was closed after Cyclone Thane hit the coast in 2011.