Relative Clubs Cook To Death In Tipsy Brawl

Published: 25th October 2014 06:03 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th October 2014 06:03 AM   |  A+A-

VILLUPURAM: A 33-year-old cook was allegedly clubbed to death by his relative, following an argument that broke out during a liquor party  near Vikravandi on Thursday night, police said.

According to the police, the deceased was R Suresh, a native of Poothakeni village in Chidambaram.

Suresh, who had been staying with his grandmother in Ezhaai village for the past three months, called up his relative Thamizharasan, 31, a painter, residing in Pallipadi village, so as to spend Deepavali together, police said. On Thursday night, the two consumed liquor in an abandoned building in Ezhaai and an altercation ensued. Following this,  Thamizharasan allegedly picked up a wooden log and attacked his friend, who fell unconscious. After the incident, Thamizharasan fled to his native place.

On Friday morning, Thamizharasan confessed to his wife Sivakami about the incident and she alerted her relatives in Ezhaai to check out on Suresh, who was found dead, police said.

After preliminary investigations, Vikravandi police reached Chidambaram and arrested Thamizharasan. A case was registered against the accused.

After questioning Thamizharasan, police said  there was no motive behind the murder and that it was committed in a state of drunkenness.  Suresh’s body was sent to Mundiyambakkam GH for an autopsy.

Guard Electrocuted

A 42-year-old man was electrocuted after he accidentally touched an electric fence around a farm near Gingee on Friday. Police said the deceased was Perumal of Devanampettai village near Gingee, who was a security guard in a private company in Chennai, while his wife Chitra was a constable at the Vettavalam police station in Tiruvannamalai.

The couple had leased out their land to one Ramasamy of the same village, where he cultivated groundnuts. He electrified the fence so as to protect the crop from animals.

Perumal had come to the village for Deepavali celebrations and on Friday evening he went to inspect the land. Since he didn’t return home after a long time, his relatives went in search of him and found him dead on the farm. They informed Sathyamangalam police, who rushed to the spot and retrieved the body.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp