STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

‘Congress Not Losing Base in Puducherry’

Narayanasamy’s remark comes day after RS member Kannan’s apparent criticism

Published: 12th September 2014 06:08 AM  |   Last Updated: 12th September 2014 06:08 AM   |  A+A-

PUDUCHERRY: Former Union Minister of State for PMO V Narayanasamy on Thursday said those who say Congress is losing its base in the UT are day-dreaming.

He said this while addressing a protest of the Congress party’s demonstration at Mudaliarpet against the ruling All India N R Congress government. He was reacting to a response to Rajya Sabha member P Kannan’s remarks on Wednesday.

Narayanasamy, recalling DMK leader and former Chief Minister R V Janakiraman’s comments after the DMK took over the reign of the Union Territory that the Congress party would be vanquished from the Union Territory, said the people know  well what happened afterwards and added that the party (DMK) itself went into oblivion.

Later, talking to Express, Narayanasamy said he would not react to the comments of  Kannan. The former Union Minister said he had prepared a list of persons against whose comments he should not react and Kannan was one among them.

Narayanasamy, said  the ruling N Rangasamy government did not spend the full plan outlay in the last year’s budget. He added that the Congress would monitor both inside and outside of the Assembly to see if the plan outlay of `2400 crore in the present Budget was spent fully.

Pointing out that the Rangasamy government could spend only `1,650 crore out of the plan outlay of `2000 crore in the last budget, he claimed the government would not spend `650 crore out of the Plan outlay Rs 2400 in this year’s budget.

Narayanasamy alleged bias in distribution of schemes like free rice, rain coats etc and said they were reaching the beneficiaries of Kadirgamam constituency only, as it is the Chief Minister’s, and sarcastically commented that the name of Puducherry should be changed to Kadirgamam.

The former Union Minister of State for PMO reiterated his demand for  a CBI probe into the alleged corruption in the free rice scheme. He condemned the N R Congress government for its failure on all fronts and charged Rangasamy with appointing 5,000 people in jobs through the back door.

He charged  the Chief Minister also with failing  to prevent the exodus of industries from the UT. Presently, there are only 1,100 as against the 10,000, he said and added that the three centuries-old textile mills were closed.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp