VELLORE: The Vellore Corporation’s three day ultimatum to shopkeepers, to vacate their shops from Nethaji Market has been put on hold.
The civic body officials agreed to reconsider their decision during their meeting with the vegetable vendors and the merchant association on Monday.
The Vellore Corporation is planning to rebuild the decades-old Nethaji Market with basic facilities and and a parking lot. However, the civic officials had issued an ultimatum to the 752 shopkeepers, to vacate their shops without even preparing any estimation for the rebuilding project.
Around 500 merchants attended the meeting and requested the Mayor P Karthiyayini and Commissioner Janaki Raveendran to reconsider the decision.
The vegetable vendors and flower shop association members said that around 5,000 families were dependant on the market for their livelihood. They needed more time and an alternate place to run their business.
Tamil Nadu Merchant’s Association District Secretary R B Gnanavelu asked the Mayor and Corporation Commissioner to permit them to rebuild their shops in Nethaji Market.
“We will build our damaged shops. We need permission from the Corporation. Three day deadline is a very short period and we can’t vacate without making alternative arrangements. We buy our stock on credit and we have to finish off our stock. We request the civic body to reconsider the decision.” A vegetable vendor said, “Most of the vendors are uneducated. We have debts and responsibilities and the sudden exit would create mental pressure and lead us to take an extreme step.” Replying to the queries, Mayor P Kathiyayini said, “You (merchants and vegetable vendors had asked the Corporation to build basic facilities like toilets, platforms and parking lot in the market. But to rebuild the market shops alone, you are asking the Corporation not to interfere and this is totally unacceptable. We have to develop the market with good infrastructure and basic facilities and this is the only motto.”
Further Kathiyayini added,“We would discuss the issue with higher officials and would arrange a meeting to take the final decision.” The three day ultimatum to vacate the market was taken for reconsideration.
The decision to give the shops to the same merchants, who are occupying it presently, was also taken for consideration.