PUDUCHERRY:In a rare case of Japanese Encephalitis (JE), a mosquito borne disease, a four-year old boy from Keezhlsathamangalur near Ariyur here died at the Institute of Child Health in Chennai on August 1.
Initially, the boy was administered Rabies vaccine at Indira Gandhi Government General Hospital and Post Graduate Institute (IGGGHPGI) after being bitten by a stray dog, but subsequently the family took him to the JIPMER on July 18.
When the boy developed fever and complications, suspecting it to be a case of Rabies encephalopathy, JIPMER referred the boy to Rajiv Gandhi Women and Children Hospital on July 27. The parents instead took the child to IGMCRI, which in turn referred the boy to Chennai.
This is a rare case reported in Puducherry, though in some parts of neighbouring Villupuram district it is endemic, Director of Health and Family Welfare Dr K V Raman told Express. The departments of Revenue, Local Administration and Vector Control Research centre (VCRC) were alerted. The entire region was surveyed for fever cases. Blood test was done for more than 90 residents. Fogging was done to destroy all mosquitoes. Ducks and cranes were removed and tested. The stagnant water in the fields was drained out by the Agriculture department.
Meanwhile, the Sentinel Surveillance unit for JE is being set up after getting approval from National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), said Dr Raman. Diagnostic kits are being procured from National institute of Virology, Pune. Till the testing facilities are established, samples will be sent to District Hospitals in Villupuram and Cuddalore, he added.