VELLORE: A portion of the kitchen-ceiling of a 15-year-old Anganwadi (part of the Integrated Child Development Scheme - ICDS) in Ramachandrapuram in Pernambut block collapsed on Monday afternoon. The children and staff of the anganwadi escaped unhurt in the incident as they were in the hall at the time of the incident.
Sources said that the cement plastering over the kitchen-ceiling in the anganwadi, which was constructed in the year 2000, collapsed at about 1.30 p.m. It fell into the kitchen space and damaged some vessels. The kitchen and the hall are separated by a single brick wall.
“A total of 21 children (aged between 2 and 5 years) are enrolled in the centre. After the lunch hour between 12 noon and 12.30 p.m., the children and the helper M Kavitha were in the hall,” said an official adding that the collapse was sudden and alarmed everyone.
The helper immediately alerted higher officials and sent the children back to their respective homes. Child Development Officer (CDO) of Gudiyattam, V Komathi, who is also in-charge of Pernambut, reached the anganwadi and conducted an inquiry.
Residents of the village, however, were shocked to hear about the incidents.
“If the incident had occurred an hour earlier, it would have caused injuries to the worker and even children,” said a local.
The Child Development Officer has submitted a report to the District Project Officer of Integrated Child Development Scheme, S Bakyarajan, about the condition of the building. The report, in turn, will be forwarded to the Collector for action. The anganwadi will remain closed until the repair works have been completed and declared safe for use.
“Now, we have asked our staff to look for a rented building to run the centre,” said the official in the department.