STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

'Negative Voting Not Decisive in India'

Published: 26th August 2015 03:14 AM  |   Last Updated: 26th August 2015 03:14 AM   |  A+A-

COIMBATORE:  Unlike in some western countries, India’s electoral system does not give importance to negative voting. The ‘None Of The Above’ (NOTA) votes have only limited purpose, former Election Commissioner of Tamil Nadu Naresh Gupta said here on Tuesday.

He was speaking at the ‘100% Voting Awareness Campaign’ organised by SNMV College of Arts and Science jointly with the Puthiya Nambikkai Foundation (PNF) at the college.

“In western countries people have an option to cast negative votes, like NOTA in India, if they are not happy with any of the candidates. If the total number of negative is more than 50 percent, a re-election will be conducted,” he said.

“However, in India, even if NOTA exceeds 90 percent, the result will be announced on the basis of the remaining 10 percent vote,” said Naresh Gupta.

But, a re-election on the basis of negative votes is risky and expensive, he said, adding, “We cannot comment about it in one or two lines. Various aspects associated with it have to be addressed effectively before making NOTA a decisive factor”.

An audio-visual presentation of the history of election was also held at the college and students made aware of the significance of voting.

D Nandakumar, Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Coimbatore president, Ashok Bafna, president of SNMV College, A Ponnusamy, principal of the college, PNF Secretary P Ashok Kumar and joint secretary Bharath Kumar Jaghamani were also present at the event.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

edexworks
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp