CHENNAI: A five-year-old girl, living with her parents in Gangaiamman Koil Street in Korattur died at the Institute of Child Health and Hospital for Children (ICH&HC) after she mistakenly consumed lubricant oil meant for use in a sewing machine at her residence in Ambattur on Wednesday night.
Sources said Mahisha(5), the deceased child mistook the oil for some soft drink and drank it when her mother was away in the kitchen. The oil, incidentally was stored in a container which her mother had placed over the sewing machine, last week.
Her mother Lakshmi who was talking to the child while working in the kitchen rushed out since the child did not respond to her quite for some time. She found the child lying near the sewing machine with the lubricant on its mouth and the half-empty bottle near her. Lakshmi carried her child to a private hospital in Anna Nagar from where the child was referred to ICH & HC in Egmore.
The child breathed its last on Wednesday night and the body was moved to Kilpauk Medical Colllege Hospital for postmortem and was handed over to the family on Thursday. P olice have registered a case and are investigating.