COIMBATORE: The special court for bomb blast cases in Coimbatore sentenced a 21-year-old youth to life in prison after he brutally beheaded his landlord, before disposing of the dismembered remains in a ditch and a canal in January of 2015.
The convict, S Durgesh Kumar from Bihar, had been working at a private mill in Ganapathy. There, a woman, Jothi alias Julie (38), who was also working in the mill, met and befriended the boy when he was just 13. Feeling sorry for the boy as he had to migrate to Southern India at such a young age, she offered to house him at her own home in Ganapathy Nagar, Ganapathy as a paying guest.
Speaking to Express, the Special Public Prosecutor (Bomb Blast Court), J Amalanathan, said that Jothi was living with her husband, Krishnamoorthy (43) and their son, K Prabhu (19).
In early 2015, Jothi and Krishnamoorthy needed `15,000 in cash to pay for their son’s college admission. They had asked Durgesh for `10,000. As he had refused, Krishnamoorthy quarrelled with the youth and asked him to leave the house. On January 6, 2015, Durgesh picked up a sickle and beheaded Krishnamoorthy. He then packed up the dismembered remains in two plastic bags and disposed one of them in the Sanganoor Canal and another inside a ditch near the house where he was living. During the course of inquiry, police found that Durgesh had committed the murder. On Friday, the bomb blasts court judge M Srinivasan sentenced him to life in prison for murder, and seven years in prison for destruction of evidence. The sentences are to run concurrently. A cumulative fine of ` 2,000 was also imposed on Kumar.
Youth arrested for raping Minor
Coimbatore: Police arrested a 23-year-old youth on Thursday, after he allegedly raped a 12-year-old Class VI student near her house in Kurumbapalayam. The accused, R Prabhu, followed her and raped her while she was alone in a vacant spot, police said. The minor victim returned home and informed her father about the incident.