THANJAVUR : In a tragic incident, two boys below five years of age, were electrocuted here on Monday.
According to sources, Manikandan (5), son of Ramesh, a load man of Aatrankarai Street in Madukkur was playing with Sridhar (4), son of Manimaran, a cook from the same area near their houses on Monday morning. The duo is said to have heard the cry of a puppy from inside a house under construction in the nearby Edayakkadu Paal Pannai Street. They ventured into the house amidst scattered building materials in order to save the puppy. As they advanced, they tried to clear a wire on their way, oblivious of the fact it was a live wire. The moment they touched the wire they were thrown away.
Hearing their cries, the neighbours rushed to the spot and took them to Pattukkottai Government Hosptial where they were declared brought dead. Pattukkottai Tashildar R Gurumurthy, Madukkur Inspector of Police Thyagarajan, Assistant Executive Engineer of TNEB Chanakyan inspected the spot. The Madukkur police have registered a case.
Manikandan was studying in the first standard in a Government school in the area and Sridhar was attending a local anganwadi.