COIMBATORE: A 75-year-old farmer from Pachakavundanpalayam near Thalakkarai in Negamam died in hospital after he allegedly took poison due to his inability to clear debts.
S Arumugam had borrowed `5 lakh from neighbours to dig borewells to water his three-acre coconut grove. But due to lack of water, trees withered away.
A frustrated Arumugam consumed chemical tablets used to control pests that attack coconut trees late on Wednesday, according to the Negamam Police. The neighbours noticed him a few hours later and took him to the Pollachi Government Hospital where he was provided first aid.
He was then referred to the Coimbatore Medical College Hospital, where he died without responding to treatment on Thursday morning. A postmortem was performed and the body handed over to the family in the afternoon.