NAGERCOIL: Deputy Chief Minister O Panneerselvam said casualties were minimal as the authorities had issued the warning three days prior to the cyclone. Addressing the media during his visit to Kanniyakumari on Sunday, Panneerselvam said, warning had been given to the district three days prior to November 30. “Also, the fishermen were warned not to venture into the sea.
As many as 3,600 electricity poles have been affected but as steps were taken to shut down the power supply, casualties were avoided. All the departments have worked together since the warning, and it helped control the situation. Many plantations and trees and paddy fields were razed to the ground in the cyclone.”
He added that `25 crore has been allotted as relief fund for the affected people. Generator has been arranged for the people to get water. “Power supply will be restored by Monday evening,” confirmed the deputy chief minister.
Collector Sajjansingh R Chavan, Ministers Jayakumar, Thangamani and Udayakumar and MLA Vijayakumar accompanied him during his visit to the cyclone-ravaged villages.
Speaking to Express, officials of Fisheries department said that a special control unit was opened at Kirathur village to trace the fishermen, who went missing in sea. They will be tracking the fishermen through GPS coordinates or aircraft.