DMK moves Madras High Court again over R K Nagar electoral roll

Chennai, Dec 6 (PTI) The DMK today moved the Madras High Court seeking to reopen its PIL on bogus voters in bypoll- bound R K Nagar Assembly constitu...

Published: 06th December 2017 07:59 PM  |   Last Updated: 06th December 2017 09:12 PM   |  A+A-

Madras High Court. (File photo)

By PTI

CHENNAI: The DMK today moved the Madras High Court seeking to reopen its PIL on bogus voters in bypoll-bound R K Nagar Assembly constituency here, claiming that about 5,000 more entries need to be deleted from the electoral roll.

The first bench comprising Chief Justice Indira Banerjee and Justice M Sundar, before whom DMK's senior counsel P Wilson made a mention to this effect, said it would direct a division bench to take up the matter tomorrow if the petitioner filed a formal plea in the registry.

The constituency, held twice by late chief minister Jayalalithaa, is going for the byelection on December 21.

The bench had on November 21 disposed of the PIL filed by DMK organisational secretary R S Bharathi seeking door-to-door verification of the electoral roll as infructuous after recording a submission by the Election Commission that 45,819 names of the voters had been deleted based on a complaint by the DMK.

It had then directed the EC to publish the deleted list on its website.

Wilson today submitted that the petitioner was under the impression that its grievance had been properly redressed.

However, he claimed it had come to light now that the details of the deleted voters given by the EC did not tally with the list given by the petitioner in its complaint and still names of about 5,000 voters were to be removed.

The statement made by the EC before the court was virtually untrue for which the officials shall be dealt with in accordance with Law, he submitted.

He further submitted that the petitioner made a fresh representation to the EC on November 28 along with proof of non-deletion of 5,000 voters. But no action had been taken so far, he contended.

Since the last date of withdrawal of nomination for the bypoll was fast approaching, it was just and necessary to re-open the PIL for necessary and appropriate orders, the counsel said.

The constituency has fallen vacant after the death of sitting member Jayalalithaa on December 5 last year.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp