Not 1K, only 582 missing, claims govt

Even as the agitating fisherfolk in Kanniyakumari district, struck by the savage cyclone Ockhi, are claiming that over 1,000 fishermen are still missing with their vessels, the Tamil Nadu government o

Published: 09th December 2017 02:44 AM  |   Last Updated: 09th December 2017 07:14 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

CHENNAI: Even as the agitating fisherfolk in Kanniyakumari district, struck by the savage cyclone Ockhi, are claiming that over 1,000 fishermen are still missing with their vessels, the Tamil Nadu government on Friday said that only 582 fishermen were missing and search operations involving the Defence forces intensified to trace them.

Talking to mediapersons here, Commissioner for Revenue Administration (CRA) and Relief Commissioner K Satyagopal said, “As many as 35 fishermen, along with 13 countryboats (vallam) and 547 men with 66 multi-day fishing vessels, are missing. Efforts are on to trace them.”
He informed that 1,660 fishermen and 139 boats had taken refuge in various places such as Veravel in Gujarat, Devgarh and Malwan in Maharashtra, Karwar in Karnataka.

“IAS officers have been despatched to these States to facilitate the return of the fishermen,” he said, adding the Tamil Nadu government had written to the States to provide fuel and financial assistance, which would be reimbursed, to enable the stranded fishermen to return home.

Faced with criticism of slackness in search operations, the State government paraded top officers of the rescue agencies - Indian Coast Guard and Navy - before the media to explain the steps taken by them to rescue the fishermen who had lost direction in the cyclone.

‘Sahayam’ continues

Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Coast Guard Navdeep Raj, who is the Chief Staff Officer (Operations), and Captain N Shyam Sundar of the Navy said that the ‘Operation Sahayam’ was underway to trace the missing fishermen.

They informed that the neighbouring countries including Sri Lanka and Myanmar were also contacted, seeking details of stranded fishermen.

According to M Venkatesan, Regional Logistics and Administration Officer, Indian Coast Guard, “a total of 672 fishermen have been rescued so far by the Coast Guard, Navy and Air Force. Of them, 268 belong to Tamil Nadu.”

Denying the allegations of rescue forces not moving beyond 200 nautical miles, he said, “In fact, our forces have been moving up to a distance of about 400 nautical miles.”

Shyam Sundar said that state-of-the-art aircraft P 85, which can fly above the sea for about 10 hours without break, had been deployed for search mission.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp