Not assuming charge as Puducherry Tourism Development Corporation chairman unless conditions modified: MNR Bhalan
Bhalan stated that no person can succeed in his role as performing chairman and serve to the satisfaction of one and all and run the Corporation with such “ impracticable and unwarranted condition”.
PUDUCHERRY: Congress legislator MNR Bhalan today shot off a letter to Lt Governor Kiran Bedi stating that he is not in position to assume charge as Chairman of Puducherry Tourism Development Corporation, unless the conditions laid down in the order renewing his tenure were modified.
Bhalan stated that no person can succeed in his role as performing chairman and serve to the satisfaction of one and all and run the Corporation in an efficient and profitable manner with such “ impracticable and unwarranted condition”.
There is no significance in the conditions of 1,8 and 9 stipulating the responsibilities and performance of the chairman, when he has no role in any of the activities of the corporation as per the conditions 2 to 5., he said
- Rule 1 : Chairman shall strive towards making the institution profitable
- Rule 8 :The performance of the statutory body under the leadership of the newly appointed chairman shall be reviewed before considering his continuance .
- Rule 9 : A mid-term measurable performance appraisal of the institution shall also be carried out engaging professional in the field after six month
- Rule 2 : Chairman shall be a non-executive chairman who will preside over meetings of the board
- Rule 5 : Only files relating to policy decisions taken in the board or proposed to be taken will be sent to chairman. Other administrative and financial files will be terminated at the level of managing director.
Citing these rules Bhalan contended that it is obnoxious and mockery to have a review of a person when he is forbidden to monitor the activities of the institution from the level of managing director to the bottom level and the financial activities. Under this circumstance, he is not in a position to assume charge, till the rules are altered.