Tamil Nadu: Six dead as eight of a family attempt suicide in Madurai over debt woes

In an incident that has shocked the State, eight people of a family attempted suicide by consuming poison in their house in Madurai on Sunday evening.

Published: 25th September 2017 07:10 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th September 2017 12:07 PM   |  A+A-

Representational image

By Express News Service

MADURAI: In an incident that has shocked the State, eight people of a family attempted suicide by consuming poison in their house in Madurai on Sunday evening. Five of them died on the spot while another person succumbed at the Madurai General Hospital. Two others are battling for life.

According to the police, Kurunjikumaran of Kurunji Nagar in Yagappa Nagar lived with his mother Jagajothi, wife Thangaselvi (40), daughters Jayamonika (18) and Tharani. Kurunjikumaran’s brother Velmurugan, his wife Devi (45) and his daughter Jayasakthi also lived in the same house.  

WATCH VIDEO | Unable to pay loan, six of family commit suicide

The brothers owned a private school in Anna Nagar, Madurai, and were also into the real estate sector. The police claim to have found a suicide note in which the family allegedly said they were ending their lives due to debt incurred in running the school. They did not blame anyone for their tragic end.

As the family members were not to be seen outside the house since morning, their relative and neighbour Ravichandran reportedly went to their house on Sunday evening. As none answered the door, he and other local residents broke into the house.

They found Jagajothi, Kurunjikumaran, Velmurugan, Tharani and Jayasakthi dead, while Thangaselvi, Jayamonika and Devi were in a critical condition. They then rushed the family to the Government Rajaji Hospital for treatment. Later, Devi died in the hospital.

To make matters worse, there was a delay in the 108 government ambulance reaching the spot. The survivors were taken to the hospital on bikes and buses. “Though we called for the 108 ambulance immediately, they did not arrive even after 45 minutes,” said Ravichandran.

“As a result, Jayamonika was taken to the hospital by our relatives on a two wheeler. Devi was taken to the hospital in an auto and Thangaselvi was taken to the hospital in a private mini bus that was passing through the area.”


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp