COIMBATORE: In the second case of childbirth at home in Tirupur district in a week, a newborn died on Saturday morning near Kangeyam. The baby boy, which was born unconscious, reportedly died because there was no one to revive it. This time, there was no attempt at ‘natural delivery’, but the migrant parents were apprehensive about going to hospital and the mother had not even visited the primary health centre (PHC) at nearby Sivan Malai.
Around 6 am on Saturday, Radha woke her husband from sleep and told him that she had delivered a baby.
A shocked Ravi saw the baby lying beside his wife. But as it had not cried, he suspected something wrong and ran to neighbours for help. Three women rushed to their tent and on finding the baby unconscious, asked for a nurse to be brought from the Primary Health Centre. Nurses who came there found that the baby had died. As Radha was in a critical condition, they rushed her to the Tirupur Government Hospital. She is now out of danger.
“Nevertheless, they were ignorant about the need to visit a hospital for childbirth. It was not Radha’s intention to have a childbirth at home,” they added.