STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

19 NIT students fall ill after eating food at hotel

The worst nightmare of parent’s of outstation students seems to have come true. In a suspected case of food poisoning, at least 19 students of National Institute of Technology (NIT) Warangal, were hospitalised.

Published: 25th December 2016 03:42 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th December 2016 04:15 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

WARANGAL : The worst nightmare of parent’s of outstation students seems to have come true. In a suspected case of food poisoning, at least 19 students of National Institute of Technology (NIT) Warangal, were hospitalised.


All the students are in a private hospital. The patients are stable and recovering. It is suspected that they fell sick after eating food at a restaurant near their campus. Though the incident occurred on Dec 21, it came to light on Saturday after the hospital authorities informed the local police.


The police visited the hospital and asked students about the incident. However, the NIT administration has not yet lodged a formal complaint with the police. The students were hale and hearty till the early hours of the next day. The cause of food poisoning has not been ascertained yet, according to sources.


According to a duty doctor at the hospital, the students were hospitalised in two batches, around six students on December 22 and the rest on the next day December 23. “When they were brought here by the institute’s  administration as their condition was serious. They were suffering from high fever, motions and vomiting. After we took charge of the medication the situation started improving. Now everyone is out of danger and would be discharged soon,” the doctor said.


According to Akhil, who belongs to Idukki district of Kerala and pursuing M.Tech in NIT,  they went to a restaurant called Sidra on Dec 21 night and from the very next morning they developed stomach ache and started vomiting. First the students were shifted to campus health centre and then to a private hospital. “It was a new restaurant. We thought that we would try new dishes. We enjoyed the food but never thought that it would create such a problem for us,” he said.


In fact, the second batch of nine MBA students were not aware of their M.Tech friends’ falling sick and they also went to the same restaurant and consumed food only to fall ill too. “I developed stomach ache and started feeling feverish. I called my parents they came down here to take care of me,” says Vishal of Hyderabad, a first year MBA student.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp