STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

TDP, Congress counter Muslim reservation with BC quota

The two parties demanded that government increase reservations to BCs from the present 25 per cent to 52 per cent, proportionate to their  population in TS.

Published: 16th April 2017 04:24 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th April 2017 04:24 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

HYDERABAD: Opposition parties Congress and TDP, which have been cornering the state government over Muslim reservations issue, on Saturday upped the ante by getting more vocal on the issue of by increasing the quota to Muslims such that it doesn’t affect the BC reservations.

The two parties, which not directly opposing the increase in Muslim reservations, openly began falling back on the ‘BC reservations quota’ to create troubles for the government.

Both the parties on Saturday asked the government to take steps to pass the bill relating to providing 12 per cent reservations to Muslims, without disturbing the present quota of reservations being enjoyed by BCs. Interestingly, the two parties further demanded that the government increase the reservations to BCs from the present 25 per cent to 52 per cent as per their population ratio in the state.

“If KCR is committed to the well-being of weaker sections in the society, he should bring in a bill providing 52 per cent reservations to BCs and 12 per cent reservations to Muslims. That means a total of 64 per cent reservations should be given to BCs including Muslims,” TDP TS unit working president A Revanth Reddy, party MLAs R Krishnaiah and Sandra Venkata Veeraiah demanded. 

“Despite Centre making it clear that it will not give its assent for reservations based on religion, the CM is trying to provide 12 per cent reservations to Muslims, who Constitute 12 per cent population in the state. Such step amounts to providing reservations to a community based on their religion as reservations are being provided to them as per their population ratio.

Thus, KCR is carefully implementing a strategy to put the blame on Centre and courts for possible rejection of 12 per cent reservations to Muslims in order to gain sympathy of Muslims,” Revanth Reddy alleged.

TDP MLA R Krishnaiah, founder of BC Welfare Association, made it clear that BCs in the State will not allow the government’s steps to provide reservations to Muslims by adding them in BC (E) quota. This will eat into the 25 per cent reservations being enjoyed by the BCs in the state  at present, he said.

Congress too asked TRS to provide reservations to Muslims without affecting the quota of reservations to BCs.  

Joining chorus with TDP and BJP, TPCC chief N Uttam Kumar Reddy demanded that the government provide reservations to BCs as per their population ratio. The principal opposition party further put a rider, saying that reservations to SCs should also be increased as per their population percentage.


BJP wants separate bill for ST reservation
While continuing its opposition to the Muslim reservations bill, BJP said the government proposal to include both Muslim and ST reservations in a single bill will do grave injustice to the STs.

“The bill will be struck down by courts as implementing reservations to Muslims is against the Constitution. Then, hike in reservations to STs will also become null and void,” BJP MLA G Kishan Reddy said. Hence, he demanded that the government introduce a separate bill for enhancement of reservations to STs.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp