MAHABUBABAD: AS many as 31 students of the state government-run Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya Gurukul at Nellikuduru village in Mahabubabad were taken ill on Saturday night allegedly due to food poisoning.
They were rushed to the Mahabubad area hospital for treatment and three of them were admitted to the intensive care unit. The girls, who consumed hostel food Saturday evening, started vomiting around midnight. It is learnt they had rice, dal and rasam for dinner at the mess. Though the students were rushed to the hospital soon after they complained of uneasiness, there were not enough doctors to attend to them. The hospital superintendent had to ask a doctor at Bayyaram primary health centre to come help.
Deputy chief minister Kadiyam Srihari, who also holds the education portfolio, directed officials to cancel the contract of the caterer. He directed district collector Preeti Meena to take steps to provide proper treatment to the girls and take action against those responsible for the incident. The deputy CM, who is touring Warangal Rural, spoke with hospital superintendent who told him the condition of the girls was stable. Meanwhile, Congress, CPI and student activists gathered in front of the hospital and demanded action against the cook, warden, principal, and doctors.
‘Worms in food’
Students said they had complained about the poor quality of the food and such incidents, though less serious, had taken place in the past. They said though they had been complaining to the principal, no action was taken. “Worms are found in food on a regular basis. We have complained to principal many times. The cook always prepares unhygienic food,” a student said. Police registered a case.