STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Six-storeyed building in Shamshabad catches fire; 30 rescued

A lodge Anupama Residency was run on the top floors of the building.  As fire broke out in the ESI dispensary billowing thick clouds of smoke, inmates of the lodge rushed to the terrace.

Published: 15th June 2017 04:41 AM  |   Last Updated: 15th June 2017 06:39 AM   |  A+A-

The six-storeyed building where fire broke out in Shamshabad on Wednesday. | express photo

By Express News Service

HYDERABAD: Thirty people were rescued on Wednesday from the terrace of a six-storeyed building by the fire department personnel in Shamshabad after a fire occurred at an ESI dispensary located on the ground floor of a building. 

A lodge Anupama Residency was run on the top floors of the building. As fire broke out in the ESI dispensary billowing thick clouds of smoke, inmates of the lodge rushed to the terrace. 

No casualties were reported in the mishap. Officials suspect the fire was caused due to a faulty electric switchboard in one of the rooms in the ESI dispensary causing short circuit and subsequent fire. The dispensary has been completely charred. 

Assistant district fire officer (ADFO) of Rangareddy GV Prasad said that after visiting the accident site, there were no fire extinguishers in the ESI dispensary as well as in the lodge. Also, the building does not have No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the fire department. 

As per the Telangana Fire Service Act any building measuring more than 18 meters in height should obtain NOC. The building where the fire occurred is 24 meters high.

The ADFO said the fire department would launch prosecution against owner of the building who has been identified as one, Santosh. 

Prasad said fire engines from Rajendranagar, Chandulal Baradari, Maheshwaram and Shamshabad airport were rushed to the spot on receiving the information about the fire. While some firefighters controlled the fire in ESI dispensary, others got onto the first floor of building using a ladder.

The firefighters, who got onto the first floor escorted all those stranded on the terrace of the building to safety through the stairs. Bronto sky lift were also rushed to the spot but as the fire was just on the ground floor they were not required to be used. 

Building has no NOC certificate 
Though the fire officials say they would act against the building owner for not having NOC and not installing the required fire safety equipment, the department, which said it will take stern action against Hotel Katriya for not adhering to fire safety norms after a fire broke in the hotel, is yet to act



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp