Yerevan and Baku have been locked in a decades-long conflict for control of Azerbaijan's Armenian-populated region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijan last month took control of the long-disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region in a 24-hour offensive that ended decades of Armenian separatist rule.
The Azerbaijani leader delivered a speech and raised the flag over the city, which is known as Khankendi by Azerbaijan and Stepanakert by Armenians, the presidential office said Sunday.
On Sunday, Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev raised his nation’s flag over the region’s capital, reaffirming control over it.
Armenia wants the International Court of Justice for "provisional measures" aimed at protecting the rights of ethnic Armenians from the Nagorno-Karabakh region reclaimed by Azerbaijan.
The Azerbaijani offensive killed over 200 Armenians in the enclave, the vast majority of them fighters, and some 200 Azerbaijani troops, according to officials.
After a lightning offensive by Azerbaijani forces in September 2023, most of the Armenian population fled the self-proclaimed republic of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Armenia now finds itself facing multiple challenges after being suddenly thrust into one of the worst political crises in its decades of independence following the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.
The departure of more than 80% of Nagorno-Karabakh's population raises questions about Azerbaijan's plans for the enclave that was internationally recognized as part of its territory.
Azerbaijan’s assault on Nagorno-Karabakh must have consequences. Should the regime in Baku get away with this with impunity, it will be inspired to continue its aggression against Armenians.
India should learn from the Armenia-Azerbaijan skirmish and play up its own diversity. Otherwise it risks tripping up on its own religious and demographic faultline.
By Friday morning 84,770 people had left Nagorno-Karabakh, according to Armenian officials, continuing a mass exodus from the region of ethnic Armenians that began Sunday.
Azerbaijan has agreed to allow separatists who lay down their weapons to leave for Armenia under the terms of a ceasefire deal reached last Wednesday.
Azerbaijani forces have now approached the edge of Stepanakert -- an emptying rebel stronghold where separatist leader Samvel Shakhramanyan issued his decree.
By Thursday morning, "65,036 forcefully displaced persons crossed into Armenia from Nagorno-Karabakh," Armenian government spokeswoman, Nazeli Baghdasaryan, said in a statement.
Nagorno-Karabakh officials said earlier that at least 200 people on their side, including 10 civilians, were killed and over 400 were wounded in the fighting.
The Armenian government said it had prepared living arrangements for 40,000 families after last week's fighting broke out.
In December, Azerbaijan imposed a blockade of the only road connecting Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia, alleging that the govt was using the road for mineral extraction and illicit weapon shipments.
The separatist government said in a statement that "13 unidentified bodies" had been found at the scene and seven more people died in hospital.
The Armenian government said that more 6,500 Nagorno-Karabakh residents had fled to Armenia as of Monday evening.