STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

MH370 Lawyers Granted Two-week Extension to File Defence

Malaysian High Court deputy registrar K Pavani ordered all defendants to file their defence before December 15.

Published: 01st December 2014 04:14 PM  |   Last Updated: 01st December 2014 04:15 PM   |  A+A-

By PTI

KUALA LUMPUR: The beleaguered Malaysia Airlines (MAS) was today given a two-week extension to file their defence over a lawsuit filed by two boys, who lost their father in the mysterious disappearance of Flight MH370 nearly nine months ago.

Malaysian High Court deputy registrar K Pavani ordered all defendants to file their defence before December 15.

Pavani has set January 12 for the matter to be heard before a trial judge, said the childrens' lead counsel Datuk Dr Arunan Selvaraj, the Star reported. Selvaraj said they were now in the midst of identifying witnesses.

"We have a lot of witnesses. We got very good leads. We are filtering who will be called as our witnesses," he said.

He said that foreign experts have e-mailed to them offering to help in the case.

Arunan said they want answers to various queries over the missing plane.

"The plane is said to have ended at the Indian Ocean, so what is the conclusion?

"We are interested to know what transpired when the plane went missing on March 8," he said.

In the suit, the plaintiffs have also named the civil aviation director-general, the immigration director-general, the air force chief and the Government as defendants.

The two boys, aged 13 and 11, had on October 31, filed the civil claim through their mother Ng Pearl Ming, seeking damages for mental distress, emotional pain and the loss of support following the disappearance of their father.

They have claimed that the MAS had breached the "flight agreement" when the plane failed to land at Beijing at 6.30am (local time) on March 8.

In the aftermath of the tragedy, Malaysia's government launched a probe but failed to provide any result so far.

Government believes the flight diverted to the far southern Indian Ocean but no trace has been found despite an extensive search involving several countries.

Country's air force was also criticised after top brass acknowledged military radar had tracked the flight but took no action, saying it was not considered a security threat.

The beleaguered Malaysia Airlines was hammered by the loss of another Flight MH17 which apparently shot down over Ukraine in July, killing all the 298 people on board.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp