STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

The Agony Goes on for MH370 Relatives

Emotional relatives said they hoped the first proof that it crashed would help finally solve the agonising mystery, but many also expressed anger and disbelief.

Published: 06th August 2015 05:30 PM  |   Last Updated: 06th August 2015 05:35 PM   |  A+A-

MH370_AP
By AFP

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA: Emotional relatives of those aboard doomed Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Thursday said they hoped the first proof that it crashed would help finally solve the agonising mystery, but many also expressed anger and disbelief.

Long-suffering families of the 239 people on board have been waiting since March 8 last year for the first evidence of what happened to the Boeing 777, which vanished en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

MH370: What Can We Learn From Forensic Examination of Flaperon?

An investigation team in France is examining a Boeing 777 flaperon which washed up on the French island of La Reunion and that Malaysia says is from missing flight MH370.

They have struggled with a desire for closure while holding onto slim hopes their loved ones might still be alive, and some have also strongly criticised Malaysia's handling of the disaster.

Most of those on the plane were Chinese and many still refuse to believe their loved ones are dead despite Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's announcement that wreckage found on the French Indian Ocean island La Reunion was from the jet.

"I don't believe this latest information about the plane, they have been lying to us from the beginning," said Zhang Yongli, whose daughter was one of 153 Chinese passengers on the flight.

"I know my daughter is out there, but they won't tell us the truth," he added.

Bao Lanfang, whose grandson was also on the plane, told reporters that "everyone has been lying to us," before collapsing on the floor and crying outside the Beijing offices of Malaysia Airlines.

"I will do anything to see him again," the 63-year-old added through her tears.

'Expand the search'

Some families said the confirmation was not enough to lay the matter to rest and demanded to know why the plane went off course, flying for hours after its communications and tracking systems were shut down.

A handwritten statement posted on Chinese social media and signed "all MH370 passengers' relatives" expressed "serious doubts" over Najib's announcement.

They demanded that a high-level Malaysian government representative meet them and "provide explanations".

Najib, whose government has been accused by next-of-kin of a possible cover-up and insensitive treatment of families -- charges that have been vehemently denied -- gave no indication that analysis of the debris had yielded any clues as to the cause of the disappearance.

"Now I want to know where the main body of the plane is so that we can take out the passengers and get the black box so we can know what happened. Only that, for us, will be full closure," said Malaysian Jacquita Gonzales, wife of MH370 chief steward Patrick Gomes.

Fellow Malaysian G. Subramaniam, who lost his son S. Puspanathan, said investigators must now look for more debris.

"We want the authorities to expand the search area closer to Africa where the debris was found to look for the main body and the passengers," he told AFP.

Sara Weeks, the sister of New Zealand passenger Paul Weeks, welcomed news that debris had finally been found, but said it was "pretty disgusting" that she heard about the confirmation from a reporter and not Malaysian authorities.

Painful memories

She said the latest development simply brought back all the painful memories of losing her brother.

"Anytime anything happens, it takes you right back to the beginning, the same feelings, same everything. But again this time it has been a week of turmoil and that's going to continue for some time," Weeks told the Fairfax New Zealand media group.

There were six Australians on board the flight, including Rodney and Mary Burrows from Queensland, who were on a long-planned holiday to celebrate their retirement.

Rodney's father, George Burrows, said he still wanted answers about what actually happened.

"Well, it's news and we hope we might find some more answers but a bit doubtful," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. "But anyway, it's better than nothing."

For Elaine Chew, whose husband Tan Size Hiang was a member of the plane's crew, the announcement has brought little relief.

"Where is my husband's body? Have any passengers' belongings been found? No. It's just a piece that they found," she told AFP.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp