STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Indian-Origin Man Faces Jail for Photographing Underage Boy

Published: 27th February 2015 09:58 AM  |   Last Updated: 27th February 2015 09:58 AM   |  A+A-

By PTI

SINGAPORE: A 41-year-old Indian-origin man in Singapore is facing 10 years in jail after pleading guilty to charges of arranging a minor's sexual tryst with a part-time model and photographing them in a hotel room.  

The IT specialist pleaded guilty in a district court yesterday and would be sentenced on March 10 this year, The Straits Times reported.  

The accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, faces 10 years in jail and a fine.            

The minor, who is a Chinese national and was then 15-years-old, had responded to an online advertisement seeking an "extra man" in sexual trysts put out by the accused in October 2012, claiming that he was 18.        

The accused then set up a tryst in a hotel, sometime in late October or early November 2012, where he allegedly took photographs of the teen with the model.          

The accused then asked the two to engage in sexual activities and at one time joined in.          

The minor filed a police report on January 9 last year after his photographs were seen by his friend on the internet.  

Pressing for a deterrent sentence in court yesterday, Deputy Public Prosecutor Kavita Uthrapathy said the accused had recruited the 15-year old to be part of his twisted sexual fantasies.       

"The accused did nothing to ascertain the boy's age, and instead took advantage of his obvious naivety by making him do lewd acts.         

"As the crime involved the moral corruption of a minor, the sentence meted out should not only punish the accused, but should deter would-be offenders from engaging in such conduct," she said.

Arguing that his client had never expected someone under 18 to respond to his advertisement, Defense Counsel Vinit Chhabra called it an "extremely heavy price to pay for a hobby gone wrong."     

The lawyer claimed his client was in no way responsible for the photos making their way to the internet.            

"My client didn't venture into the kids' world to purposely and intentionally take advantage of a young person," Chhabra told District Judge Victor Yeo.          

The advertisement had stated clearly what responders should expect, Chhabra said.   

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp