STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

China Revises Boat Sinking Survivors to 12, Down From 14

China Central Television did not explain why the number of survivors from China\'s deadliest boat disaster in decades had been revised.

Published: 13th June 2015 06:48 PM  |   Last Updated: 13th June 2015 06:48 PM   |  A+A-

By AP

BEIJING: Chinese authorities slightly revised the number of people who survived when a river cruise ship capsized this month, saying that 12 of 454 people on board lived, down by two from the previously reported figure, a state broadcaster said Saturday.

China Central Television did not explain why the number of survivors from China's deadliest boat disaster in decades had been revised.

It said each of the 454 people aboard the Eastern Star has been accounted for. There were 403 tourists, five tourism agency workers and 46 crew members on board when the boat capsized June 1 during a cruise on the Yangtze River.

Authorities have attributed the sinking to a freak storm that generated tornado-like winds, but also have launched an investigation and placed the surviving captain and his first engineer in police custody.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

edexworks
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp