STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Death toll from Australian storm rises to four

In Sydney, high winds and huge seas caused coastal erosion which washed away beachfront lawns and damaged homes.

Published: 07th June 2016 02:16 PM  |   Last Updated: 07th June 2016 02:16 PM   |  A+A-

By AFP

SYDNEY: The death toll from a powerful storm which lashed Australia's east coast and left homes hanging over the edge of the sea rose to four Tuesday, with three people still missing.

Torrential rains caused flooding across New South Wales over the weekend, with three people dying after their vehicles were swept away in rising waters.

In Sydney, high winds and huge seas caused coastal erosion which washed away beachfront lawns and damaged homes.

The storm then swept south to Victoria and the island state of Tasmania, where one woman died after her house was inundated and where two other people are still missing after being swept away by floodwaters.

A third person, a swimmer who reportedly jumped into the huge swell at Sydney's Bondi Beach on Monday before getting into difficulty, is also missing.

"It's certainly disastrous, this is an extreme weather event, the worst flooding we've experienced in this state in 40 years and it's likely to get worse," Tasmanian Premier Will Hodgman said.

In New South Wales, where the rain has eased, waves which on the weekend punched holes into surfside buildings and in one case swept an in-ground swimming pool onto the beach, caused further damage.

In the northern Sydney suburb of Collaroy, up to 50 metres of the beach had been lost, coastal engineer Ian Turner told AFP, with officials concerned about the safety of seven waterfront homes.

"You could audibly hear some creaking and cracking sounds coming from a couple of the homes," Turner said after spending much of Monday evening monitoring the area.

Collaroy resident Tony Cargorski told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation he had lost another two metres from the back of his home overnight, with his verandah falling into the ocean.

"I want to come back and with all my heart, with all my soul, see that house intact. And we can resume our lives," he said, but admitted there would be "tough times ahead".

The Insurance Council of Australia said as of early Tuesday, insurers had received 14,500 claims across Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania, with estimated insured losses of Aus$56 million (US$41.6 million).

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp