STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Top US military official arrives in South Korea

A top US military official landed in Seoul on Monday ahead of talks with the country's leader amid rising tensions on the Korean peninsula, the media reported.

Published: 14th August 2017 11:15 AM  |   Last Updated: 14th August 2017 11:15 AM   |  A+A-

U.S. Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford, left, shakes hands with South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo during their meeting at the Defense Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Monday, Aug. 14, 2017. | AP

By IANS

SEOUL: A top US military official landed in Seoul on Monday ahead of talks with the country's leader amid rising tensions on the Korean peninsula, the media reported.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph Dunford arrived at the Osan Air Base, and is scheduled to meet with the leaders of US Forces Korea and South Korea President Moon Jae-in, reports CNN.

"Gen. Dunford just arrived in Osan Air Base to meet with US Forces Korea leadership and explore the Camp Humphreys area with his team on board 2 UH-60 Black Hawks," a statement on the Joint Staff Facebook page said. 

The trip has been long scheduled and was not arranged in response to the North Korean nuclear threat.

"The trip highlights our ironclad commitment to the defence of the Republic of Korea in the face of North Korea's provocations and threats," the statement said.

Dunford prefaced his Asia trip with a trip to Hawaii to meet with US Pacific Command, and will visit also visit Japan, as well as China, CNN reported.

The three-country visit is in "support (of) Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's diplomatic and economic campaign to deter North Korea" from seeking an effective nuclear deterrent, according to the US Department of Defence.

The North Korean military are putting the final touches on a plan to fire four missiles into the waters around the US territory of Guam, to be presented to leader Kim Jong-un within days.

In a statement last week, General Kim Rak Gyom, commander of the Strategic Force of the Korean People's Army, said the plan to fire "four Hwasong-12 intermediate-range strategic ballistic rockets...to signal a crucial warning to the US" would be ready by "mid-August".

A notice put out by Guam's Joint Information Centre on Saturday warned residents how to prepare "for an imminent missile threat."

"Do not look at the flash or fireball it can blind you," the note said. 

"Lie flat on the ground and cover your head. If the explosion is some distance away, it could take 30 seconds or more for the blast wave to hit."



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp