Tens of thousands of Yemenis trapped in Red Sea fighting

The war has cost more than 7,400 lives in the past two years, according to the UN's World Health Organisation.

Published: 02nd February 2017 12:37 AM  |   Last Updated: 02nd February 2017 12:37 AM   |  A+A-

By PTI

ADEN: Fighting between Yemeni government forces and rebels has trapped tens of thousands of civilians in and around the port town of Mokha, where over 30 fighters were killed today, residents and the UN said. "We fear the (Shiite) Huthi (rebel) snipers who have taken up positions on rooftops but also the firing from the other (government) side," said Majed Mukaibar, a 32-year-old fisherman and father in the Red Sea town of southwest Yemen. Ibrahim Saleh, a tradesman who works in southern Yemen's main city of Aden, told AFP that he has been trying since last week to evacuate his family from Mokha but has been thwarted by incessant gunfire.

The UN humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, Jamie McGoldrick, said in a statement released Tuesday that he was "extremely concerned about the safety and well-being of civilians" in Mokha and nearby Dhubab. "Information from the field indicates that military operations in the coastal region have forced most residents of Dhubab to flee the area," he said. McGoldrick said "an estimated 20,000-30,000 people, almost one third of the population, are trapped in the town (of Mokha) and require immediate protection and relief assistance". Constant air strikes, shelling and sniper fire around the town had "killed and injured scores of civilians and have ground most services to a halt", including water supplies.

The UN official appealed for a halt to fighting "to facilitate the delivery of assistance to Mokha and enable the free movement of civilians". Military and medical sources said 25 rebels and six soldiers on the government side, which is being supported by a Saudi-led Arab coalition, were killed in the latest clashes today for control of Mokha. Forces loyal to President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi have been battling on three fronts but so far failed to penetrate the centre of Mokha, according to residents and military sources.

Before government forces launched a major offensive on January 7, Huthi rebels controlled virtually all of Yemen's 450-kilometre (280-mile) Red Sea coastline. Soldiers have since thrust north from the Bab al-Mandab strait where the Red Sea joins the Indian Ocean, overrunning Dhubab district and entering the historic port of Mokha in their biggest advance in months. Conflict in Yemen escalated in March 2015 when the Saudi-led coalition launched air raids against the Huthi rebels, who had taken over the capital and seized swathes of the country's centre and north. The war has cost more than 7,400 lives in the past two years, according to the UN's World Health Organisation.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp