STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

North Korea hits out at US over potential terror listing

The spokesman maintained that Pyongyang opposed "all forms of terrorism" and accused the US of trying to tarnish its reputation.

Published: 04th March 2017 10:29 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th March 2017 10:29 AM   |  A+A-

FILE - This combination of file photos shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, left, on May 10, 2016, in Pyongyang, North Korea, and Kim Jong Nam, right, exiled half brother of Kim Jong Un, in Narita, Japan, on May 4, 2001. | AP

By AFP

SEOUL: North Korea warned Saturday that the US will "pay dearly" if it relists Pyongyang as a state sponsor of terrorism following the murder of leader Kim Jong-Un's half-brother in Malaysia last month.

Kim Jong-Nam, 45, was killed on February 13 at a crowded Kuala Lumpur airport in an attack with VX nerve agent, which is considered a weapon of mass destruction. 

Seoul has said from the start that the isolated North is behind the Cold War-style assassination.

South Korean and Japanese media, citing diplomatic sources, have since reported that the US has been mulling placing the North back on its terror list, which includes Iran and Syria. 

"The US will keenly realise how dearly it has to pay for its groundless accusations against the dignified" North if it relists it, the regime's foreign ministry spokesman told state-run newswire KCNA. 

The spokesman maintained that Pyongyang opposed "all forms of terrorism" and accused the US of trying to tarnish its reputation.

"Gone are the days when the US could stigmatise at random to oppress those countries incurring its displeasure, while having the world under its control," the official added. 

The nuclear-armed North was first designated a state sponsor of terrorism in 1987 when its agents bombed a South Korean plane killing all 115 on board. 

But it was taken off the list in 2008 after Pyongyang took steps toward freezing its nuclear facilities. 

However, since then the North has resumed its activities, conducting four atomic tests and numerous missile tests despite the fact that they are banned under several UN Security Council resolutions. 

The North has denied any involvement in Kim Jong-Nam's murder, accusing the South, the US and Malaysia of a "smear campaign". 

Two women, one Vietnamese and one Indonesian, have been arrested over the murder. 

The only North Korean to have been detained, Ri Jong Chol, was released this week due to lack of evidence.  

Ri has denied any role in the assassination and accused of Malaysian police trying to frame him with "fabricated evidence" to defame the North. 



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

edexworks
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp