STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Grenades, a raid and now a drone: List of incidents targeting Venezuelan President Maduro

Maduro said he had escaped an "assassination" attempt using an explosive-laden drone during a Caracas military parade, which the government said injured seven soldiers.

Published: 05th August 2018 01:08 PM  |   Last Updated: 05th August 2018 04:11 PM   |  A+A-

madurodrone

In this still from a video provided by Venezolana de Television, Presiden Nicolas Maduro, center, delivers his speech as his wife Cilia Flores winces and looks up after being startled by and explosion, in Caracas, Venezuela, August 4, 2018. (Photo | AP)

By AFP

CARACAS: A grenade attack, a rebel raid and now an alleged drone bombing: Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro and his government have been targeted several times since he entered office in 2013.

Drone 'attack'
On Saturday, Maduro said he had escaped an "assassination" attempt using an explosive-laden drone during a Caracas military parade, which the government said injured seven soldiers.

The government pointed the blame at "the ultra-right wing" -- its term for the opposition --  but Maduro also accused Colombia's President Juan Manuel Santos and financiers in the United States.

He added some of those involved were arrested and an investigation was under way. 

Venezuela's Bolivarian National guards officers occupy the Bolivar Avenue where the government said that a drone armed with explosives detonated near Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in Caracas, Venezuela. (Photo | AP)

Venezuelan state television images showed Maduro looking up disconcertedly in the middle of a speech having heard a bang, before members of the country's National Guard lined up in the parade area suddenly scattered.

No drones could be seen in the television broadcast, which showed bodyguards jumping in front of Maduro to protect him with flexible ballistic shields. The broadcast was quickly cut.

In this photo released by China's Xinhua News Agency, security personnel surround Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro during an incident as he was giving a speech in Caracas, Venezuela. (Photo | AP)

Army base raid
On August 6, 2017, an ex-officer and a lieutenant led 20 uniformed rebels on a weekend raid to grab weapons from an army base in the northwestern city of Valencia.

Maduro said on state television at the time that the attack saw a three-hour firefight in which two of the rebels died and eight were captured. The rest escaped with weapons.

The group was commanded by ex-National Guard captain, Juan Carlos Caguaripano.

ALSO READ | Venezuelan President Maduro says he escaped drone 'assassination' attempt, blames Colombia

Just before the raid, Caguaripano posted a video online declaring it part of a "legitimate rebellion... to reject the murderous tyranny of Nicolas Maduro." He had been discharged from the military in 2014 after multiple disciplinary offenses.

Maduro and the government branded the raid a "terrorist act" rather than an uprising within the military's ranks.

Rebel pilot
On June 27, 2017, at the height of anti-government street protests that left 125 dead, helicopter pilot Oscar Perez and unidentified accomplices flew over Caracas in a stolen police helicopter and dropped four grenades on the Supreme Court before opening fire on the interior ministry. There were no casualties.

After the attack, Perez published several videos on social media demanding Maduro's resignation. He said his goal was to "re-establish constitutional order." He appeared alongside four, hooded, heavily-armed men.

Perez, a 36-year-old former elite police officer and actor, spent several months in hiding as Venezuela's most-wanted man.

In December 2017, he claimed to be behind the theft of 26 rifles from a military armory. He posted videos reportedly recorded during the robbery in Laguneta de La Montana, in northern Miranda state, next to Caracas.

Then, on January 15 of this year, Perez was killed alongside six accomplices in an operation to capture him on the outskirts of Caracas.

Others were detained following a gunbattle lasting several hours. A bloodied Perez posted videos on Instagram during the gunbattle, saying he and his men wanted to surrender but were pinned down by snipers.
 

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp