Turkey summons Dutch charge d'affaires over Armenian 'genocide' vote

Ankara has long rejected the term 'genocide' for describing the mass killings.

Published: 23rd February 2018 03:01 PM  |   Last Updated: 23rd February 2018 07:37 PM   |  A+A-

By AFP

ANKARA: Turkey summoned the Dutch charge d'affaires on Friday to condemn the vote by lawmakers in the Netherlands to recognise the massacre of Armenians under the Ottoman Empire as "genocide", an official said.

The Dutch diplomat was called to the foreign ministry in Ankara, which "condemned" the parliament's vote, a ministry official told AFP.

The Dutch lower house on Thursday voted 142 to 3 in favour of the proposal "that parliament in no uncertain terms speak about the Armenian genocide". 

Armenians have long sought recognition that some 1.5 million of their people were killed in a genocidal campaign in World War I by Ottoman forces -- ordered by Minister of War Enver Pasha and other top officials -- to wipe them from Anatolia.

But Turkey -- the Ottoman Empire's successor state -- insists similar numbers of Muslims and Armenians were killed in a collective tragedy during wartime conflict and has always strongly resisted pressure to recognise that any genocide took place.

Acting Dutch Foreign Minister Sigrid Kaag quickly tempered the motion, saying even though the ruling four-party coalition voted for the motion, the government will "restrain" itself.

The Turkish foreign ministry on Thursday said in a statement it "strongly" condemned the move.

Turkish European Union Affairs Minister Omer Celik told reporters on Friday: "We condemn the decision taken by the parliament. For us, it is null and void."

So far, parliaments in more than 20 countries, including Germany, have voted for laws or resolutions explicitly recognising the Armenian "genocide".

The parliament vote comes as Netherlands and Turkey's diplomatic ties plunged further following the Dutch decision to withdraw its ambassador from Turkey earlier this month.

Relations have been strained since early last year when Dutch officials stopped a Turkish minister from attending a Rotterdam rally in March last year.

The Dutch ambassador has not had access to Turkey since March 2017.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp