STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Siemens CEO Joe Kaeser pulls out of Saudi conference

Dozens of executives and International Monetary Fund director Christine Lagarde have pulled out of the pow-wow since Khashoggi's disappearance at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

Published: 22nd October 2018 07:45 PM  |   Last Updated: 22nd October 2018 07:45 PM   |  A+A-

The logo of German industrial conglomerate Siemens is pictured at the headquarters in Munich, Germany. (File photo | AP)

By AFP

FRANFURT AM MAIN: The chief executive of German industrial conglomerate Siemens Joe Kaeser said Monday he would withdraw from a Saudi investment summit, after days of media and political pressure over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

ALSO READ | Germany won't export arms to Saudi Arabia 'in current situation': Angela Merkel​

"It's the cleanest decision but not the most courageous one," Kaeser wrote in a post on social network LinkedIn of his choice not to attend the Future Investment Initiative (FII).

The Siemens boss insisted the move was "not a decision against the Kingdom or its people," recalling that "Siemens has been a reliable partner to Saudi Arabia for decades."

"But for now, the truth must be found and justice must be served," Kaeser said.

German politicians and media had urged him to withdraw from the FII - dubbed "Davos in the desert" after the Swiss haunt of the rich and powerful.

"I personally wouldn't take part in an event in Riyadh at the moment," Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said Saturday.

Business daily Handelsblatt intoned last week that "now is not the time to be talking about future business projects at an investors' forum."

Dozens of executives and International Monetary Fund director Christine Lagarde have pulled out of the pow-wow since Khashoggi's disappearance at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

Riyadh at first denied all knowledge of his whereabouts before admitting by inches that he had died on the premises.

ALSO READ | In Jamal Khashoggi case: Saudi calls, 'body double' after killing

By Sunday, Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said in an interview with Fox News that "individuals (acting) outside the scope of their authority" were responsible for the "murder" of Khashoggi.

Britain, France and Germany have urged Riyadh to clarify how Khashoggi died, while US President Donald Trump accused Saudi Arabia of lying about the killing, saying in an interview "their stories are all over the place".



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp