Worm in food? Kitchen licence of popular Chennai restaurant suspended

State Food Safety Department officials on Tuesday temporarily cancelled the kitchen licence of Murugan Idli Kadai after finding that the kitchen was not hygienic.

Published: 11th September 2019 06:10 AM  |   Last Updated: 11th September 2019 06:10 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

CHENNAI: State Food Safety Department officials on Tuesday temporarily cancelled the kitchen licence of Murugan Idli Kadai after finding that the kitchen was not hygienic.

Speaking to Express, a food safety official of Tiruvallur district said, “The food is being supplied from the kitchen at Ambattur Industrial Estate to around 23 outlets of Murugan Idli Kadai. We inspected the area and found fault in the functioning of the kitchen. So, we gave 50 days time to rectify them. But, they failed to do. Again, we issued a show cause notice, but they did not  rectify then also. So, we cancelled the licence temporarily. If they rectify those defects and come to us, we will revoke the cancellation of licence after inspection”.

The official further said, “We noted 10 main defects like flooring of the kitchen was damaged, washing area also not maintained well. Packing items were not handled properly. Temperature in storage coolers was not maintained. The kitchen was not hygienic”.

Meanwhile, the officials also issued notice to Murugan Idli Kadai outlet at Parrys based on a complaint.
“ I went to Murugan Idli Kadai outlet on Friday and ordered for meal. While eating, I found a worm in the rice. When asked about it, an in-charge of the outlet said, the food was not prepared there and it was brought from the kitchen at Ambattur. So, the worm would have entered the food while on transit. Then, I filed a complaint with Food Safety Department through their Whats App complaint number,” said, T R Prabhakaran.

Following the complaint, the officials inspected the outlet at Parrys and issued notice. “We found that the workers had no medical certificate, also periodical pest control is not done. There were also other faults. So we issued notice,” said an Food Safety Official of Chennai district.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments(1)

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

  • Your truly

    Sometime we can find cockroch in sambar at saravana bhavan..sometime we find dead insect in butter biscuit at madras coffee house. Kindly investigate.
    3 days ago reply
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp