Whistleblower to hand over leaked Scorpene data to Australian government

The report by Cameron Stewart also said that the authorities in Australia are aware who the whistleblower is.

Published: 27th August 2016 07:25 PM  |   Last Updated: 27th August 2016 07:25 PM   |  A+A-

Scorpene submarine AFP

In this handout photograph released by The Indian Navy on May 1, 2016, India's Scorpene Class Submarine 'Kalivari' takes part in its maiden sea trials off the coast of Mumbai on May 1, 2016. | AFP

By IANS

NEW DELHI: The leaked data on Scorpene submarine has changed a few hands, after being taken from DCNS by a subcontractor, before reaching the whistleblower who gave it to The Australian newspaper, and will be handed over to the Australian government on Monday, said a report by the journalist who broke the story.

The report by Cameron Stewart also said that the authorities in Australia are aware who the whistleblower is.

"He has not broken any law and the authorities know who he is. He plans to surrender the disk to the government on Monday," the article said.

The journalist, in a series of tweets, also said that he will release documents related to weapon systems on Monday.

The Indian government has so far maintained the leaked information does not cause any major concern, while analysis of the data is on to ascertain the level of information contained.

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Friday said the leaked information did not contain data on the weapon systems. Stewart however tweeted calling the statement "wrong" and said: "Will release (self-censored) weapons doc Monday." 

The report in the weekend edition of The Australian meanwhile told the story of how the 22,400 documents from French DCNS reached the newspaper continents away.

According to the report, the information, which has had both India and France in a fix, was delivered to the whistleblower's mail box. 

It also said that the whistleblower's hope is that this would "spur the (Australia's Malcolm) Turnbull government and DCNS to step up security to ensure Australia's $50 billion submarine project does not suffer the same fate".

"He says he is a whistleblower and maintains that revealing to the world, via The Australian, that this classified data exists in a dangerously uncontrolled form is worthwhile because it will serve Australia's interests even if it causes an international furore," said the report.

According to the report, the CD with the documents has been in Australia for more than two years.

The report ruled out the "corporate war angle" that was given by DCNS and said for competitors to strike, Norway would have been a better place than Australia as DCNS is pitching its submarine for the country's navy.

Stewart wrote in the report: "But it seems that the story behind this leak may be more incompetence than espionage -- more Austin Powers than James Bond."

He wrote quoting sources that the data was removed from DCNS in Paris in 2011 by a former French Navy officer who quit the service in the early 1970s and worked for French defence companies for more than 30 years before becoming a subcontractor to DCNS.

Stewart wrote that the subcontractor had copied some "sensitive data" from DCNS in France, and took it to "a Southeast Asian country".

The two men worked there, "carrying out unclassified naval defence work".

According to the report, the "speculation" is that the data on the Scorpene was removed to serve as a reference guide for the former naval officer's new job.

However, the two men are said to have "fallen out with their employer", a private company run by a Western businessman, following which they were sacked and not allowed inside the building.

The company refused to give them the data, and sent the data later to its head office in Singapore where it was uploaded on an internet server.

However, while the article in its opening lines implies the CD with the data was delivered to the "whistleblower" some time in April 2013, giving the timeline from Singapore it says the data was uploaded on an internet server on April 18, 2013, where it could have stayed for a few days or a year.

It highlights here the information was vulnerable to hacking and it is now known if any adversaries chanced upon the information at that time.

It was uploaded for "for the person in Sydney who was slated to replace the two sacked French workers".

Later, the data was sent in a CD to the person in Sydney through post, who realised it contained sensitive information about India's submarine programme.

As per the report, the receiver transferred the data to an encrypted disk and erased and destroyed the original CD.

The information has been lying with the person since then -- for almost two years.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp